Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Dollar Store

Tacky, cheap, low quality; all these words may come to mind when thinking of your neighborhood dollar store. But to me, it's a place where I can find consistently great deals on items I need. While it's true that many things at the dollar store are low quality and cheaply made, this may be just what you need.

For example, beach toys at the dollar store may not last as long, but lets face it, we all lose plenty of toys at the beach. For me, the dollar store is the place I buy all my gum; $1 for 20 sticks, compared to $1.70 at Safeway for 15 sticks, and the gum is just as good. Other items I find to be good buys are beef jerky, 2.5 Liter bottles of soda, various bags of candy and other junk food, and some household cleaning products. Items I wouldn't recommend due to poor quality are candles (they don't smell like they should), medicine (could be expired), and anything you want to last a long time, as most toys from there tend to break fairly quickly.

Remember that the dollar store is not "just for poor people". Although I wouldn't buy someone else something from there, I find it to be a convenient way to pick up a few everyday items for a much better price.

No comments:

Post a Comment