Friday, May 18, 2012

Keep Yourself Accountable!

A few months ago I began noticing that it seemed like my money was simply disappearing. It seemed I would have $200 one day, and $190 the next, and I couldn't remember how I spent the missing $10. What I realized was that I needed to start tracking my purchases. For some this may mean saving receipts, but for me I just began writing down every purchase I made and its cost. What I soon learned amazed me. I was spending a significant amount of my income not on essentials like fuel, clothing, or groceries. I was spending at least $25 a WEEK on fast food or gas station food purchases! That $2 soda at Chevron and $3 burger at Burger King may seem like petty cash, but it adds up very fast! This $25 a week adds up to an extra $1200 a year in expenses.

Through the writing down of my purchases I learned my weakness, fast food, and I learned how to control my spending on it. Now I only buy food out twice a week, and I try to stay within a $10 limit, except on special occasions. Not only is this making my wallet a little fatter, it's making me a little skinnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment